St Saviour's

The Strand, Walmer, Deal, Kent, CT14 7EG




In the days of sailing ships the Downs, the area of sea between Deal/Walmer, and the Goodwin Sands, was used for mooring and as a safe 'harbour' during stormy weather. Ships might be anchored for weeks on end and would need supplies. Large numbers of boatmen came to live on the Walmer seashore to work rowing out to the ships with all that they needed.

By the 1840's there was a need to build a new church in lower Walmer for the spiritual life of the seafarers. Henry Wilberforce (youngest son of William Wilberforce) was vicar at the time and, in his two year stay at Walmer, he convinced people of the need for a new church.

The foundation stone of St Saviour's was laid in August 1848. Within a year it was in use.

St Saviour's was re-ordered in the 1980's, the south aisle being converted into a meeting room and the back of the church fitted with a kitchen and toilets.